05 January, 2009

Brilliance

I have recently discovered Zen Habits, a blog about simplicity. Today's post is perfection. If you read nothing else this year, read this post.

Here's the money quote, but the entire post is so worthy.
Stop waiting for happiness. Happiness is right here, right now.

I have spent a lot of time saying to my nieces, and now to my own children, "Live in the now." We laugh when I say it, but I mean: stop thinking about what's coming next; enjoy where you are right now. For all the times I say it to the kids, however, I seldom remind myself.

Let's all live in the now this year. That doesn't mean stop paying your bills and making plans, it just means savor each day, savor the people with whom you interact every day. I'll be working on it!

1 comment:

Toni said...

Great post! I could not agree more! I firmly believe we are all as happy as we make up our minds to be. 2008 should have been a horrible year for us--both getting laid off and job stress building up to my lay off, and a big loss in income--and we just kept focused on what we have in life. It was a fantastic year.