12 October, 2008

Favorite Authors: Josephine Tey



I'm feeling inspired to talk about Josephine Tey tonight. That's actually a pen name - her real name was Elizabeth Mackintosh. I have all eight of her books, and have read them all several times. My favorites are like comfort reading - I think I read them at least twice a year.


The first Josephine Tey book I ever met was The Daughter of Time, a wonderful story about Richard III. My mom was reading this, and passed it on to me, when I was perhaps 11. I know we were living in New Haven so I couldn't have been older than that. I thought it was great then. Now, I think it's fabulous. And I love Richard III. I practically cried when I saw his portrait in the National Portrait Gallery in London. [If you ever visit York, check out the Richard III Museum there...it's in Monk Bar Gatehouse of the walls of the city. Very cool!].


Another super-favorite of mine is Brat Farrar, about an imposter you can't help but love.


Seriously, all the books are wonderful. There's just something so polished and lovely about her writing, and the stories. They never grow old for me.


Perhaps Favorite Authors will become a recurrent blog topic. I do have so many favored and favorite authors, after all. What do you think, Gentle Reader?

2 comments:

Susie J. said...

ohhh, never read her stuff so far. I may have to pick one up. (AFTER my move, because, really... do I have TIME for that right now? Nope.)

As for MY favorite author... that would be Lynn Kurland. :)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the book review. I'll have to put these on my list. Haven't heard of them before!

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog about my son's raincoat and being a bad mom!! Appreciate it so much.

Mommy guilt is so hard to fight!

Now, off to get those books. Thanks again, I do so love to hear about authors others love!